Delicious peruvian meals that you can make at home.
Causa rellena is a popular Peruvian potato dish and its name comes from the Quechua word “Kausay”, meaning “life”. This particular recipe is typical of Peru’s capital city, Lima and is also called Causa limeña.
- 2 pounds of yellow potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed thoroughly
- 125 ml Corn or olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon ají amarillo flakes, soaked in the oil
- 1 Avocado (Slices)
- 180 ml Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup light or fat free mayonnaise
- 1 small chopped onion
- 8 Black olives, stones removed, and cut in half
- 2 Eggs, hard-boiled, and each sliced into quarters
- 1 large cooked skinless chicken breast (Shred the chicken)
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are tender and cooked through. Drain and set aside to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them. Put the potatoes through a ricer or mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in the oil, pepper paste if using, lime or lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Line a casserole dish or baking pan with plastic wrap, pressing it down to fit the dish. Spread half the potatoes into the bottom of the dish and smooth out. Spread the desired filling evenly (shred the chicken and mix it with half the mayonnaise and chopped onions) over the potatoes. Spread the remaining potatoes evenly over the filling. Press down gently to firm up your causa. Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Lay a serving platter upside-down over the top of the causa dish. Using both hands, flip the dish and platter over, letting the causa fall onto the platter. Remove and discard the plastic wrap.
- Garnish the causa decoratively with the hard-boiled eggs, black olives and avocado slices
- Cut into portions and serve
Recipe | Causa Rellena
The difficulty level of a recipe is shown by the rating graphics on the recipe summary box on each recibe. Don’t be alarmed about the potential difficulty level of a given recipe. With good planning almost everything is possible.