Delicious peruvian meal that you can easily make at home.
The Escabeche de Pescado is a delicious dish made with fried fish drizzled with a tart vinegar based onion sauce. With origins in the Arab world, the Escabeche de Pescado, or Peruvian Pickled Fish, is a colorful dish that combines fresh seafood and local hot peppers in a sweet and sour sauce that is spicy and refreshing.
- 1 lb. Cod
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon aji panca paste
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red onion
- 1 habanero pepper
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh oregano or 1/8 teaspoon dry oregano
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1 egg
- 1 sweet potato
- 4 black olives
- In addition to the ingredients above, you’ll need pots to cook the sweet potato and hard boiled egg, one skillet for the fish, a separate skillet for the pickling sauce, and a deep dish for letting the fish sit in the pickling sauce before serving.
- Cook the sweet potato in boiling water until it’s fork tender, remove from water, peel, cut in rounds, and set aside. Cook the hard-boiled egg, remove from water, peel, cut in quarters, and set aside.
- Slice the hot pepper in half, wash, and remove veins and seeds before cutting into long thin pieces. Peel and cut the onion into thick leaf-like slices. Mince the garlic.
- Clean and cut the fish into 4 pieces, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Coat each piece of fish with flour, shake off excess flour, and pan fry the fish in a skillet with 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil over medium to high heat.
- Cook each piece until it’s a golden brown, about 4 minutes per side, or until fish is cooked through. Use a spatula to carefully turn over each piece.
- After cooking the fish, transfer the pieces to a deep dish and set aside.
- In a separate skillet, prepare the pickling sauce by sautéing the onions in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic, aji panca paste, and habanero pepper.
- Mix well and season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Add the fish stock, honey, red wine vinegar, bay leaf, and 8 small leafs of fresh oregano. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Pour the pickling sauce with the onions over the pieces of fish in the deep dish. Let rest at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
- On each plate, arrange two pieces of lettuce, a round of sweet potato, a wedge of hard boiled egg, and a piece of fish. Pour some of the pickling sauce over the fish, and garnish with an olive and a sprig of fresh oregano.
Recipe | Escabeche de Pescado
The difficulty level of a recipe is shown by the rating graphics on the recipe summary box on each recibe. Don’t be alarmed about the potential difficulty level of a given recipe. With good planning almost everything is possible.