Delicious peruvian sandwich recipe that you can make at home.
The Pan con Chicharron (Peruvian pork roll) is a peruvian masterpiece of a sandwich, chicharrón refers to succulent pork, which is braised and then fried in its own fat. The Pan con Chicharron is a common sandwich in Peru, traditionally served as a breakfast but is also fitting as a light meal.
- 1 lb. Pork chop, bone on
- 4 Cups water
- 1/4 Cup salt
- 1 Yellow onion cut into quarters
- 1 Yellow onion, julienned
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Large sweet potato
- Olive oil
- 2 Habanero peppers, julienned
- 1 Lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- 4 French white rolls, halved or Sandwich buns
- Combine 4 cups water and 1/4 cup salt in a sealable container, add the pork, cover, and brine overnight in the fridge.
- Remove the pork from the container, discard the brining solution, and place the pork in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the pork by 1 inch, about 10 cups of water.
- Add 4 onion quarters and the bay leaf, bring to a simmer, partially covered, and let the water reduce completely, about 2 hours.
- In a separate pot, cook the sweet potato in water until it’s fork tender. Remove from water, peel, cut into 8 rounds, and set aside.
- Julienne the habanero peppers after removing the stem, seeds, and veins. Julienne the yellow onion, and toss in a bowl with the habanero peppers and juice of 1 lime. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the braising liquid has completely evaporated, continue to cook the pork in its own fat for a few minutes to brown it. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the meat from the bone and cut into 4 large pieces.
- On a skillet with olive oil over medium heat with, brown all the pieces before serving. In the same skillet, brown the sweet potato rounds.
- Place 2 sweet potato rounds in each bun, topped with a piece of pork, and garnished with the onion and habanero salsa and a few cilantro leaves.
Recipe | Pan con Chicharron
The difficulty level of a recipe is shown by the rating graphics on the recipe summary box on each recibe. Don’t be alarmed about the potential difficulty level of a given recipe. With good planning almost everything is possible.