Delicious peruvian meal that you can make at home.
Peruvian Rocoto Relleno is a type of pepper (Rocoto) that Peruvians say is one of the oldest peppers in existence, first planted by the Inca and could be as old as 5000 years. It is a hot pepper, which they stuff with a meat combination of beef, onions, peppers, raisins, hard boiled egg, olives, cumin and paprika. The spiciness of the pepper with the meat mixture and the creaminess of the melted cheese is an incredible combinación. Enjoy
- 5 Big Peruvian Rocotos or large poblano chiles or green bell peppers
- 50 gr Pork meat
- 200 gr Ground beef
- 1 Red onion
- 1 Small carrot
- 1 Tomato
- 50 gr Peas (previously cooked)
- A pinch of ground toasted peanuts
- 1 Table spoon of paprika or ají panca
- 200 ml Milk
- 1 Boiled egg and 2 raw eggs
- 50 gr Queso blanco (White Cheese)
- 10 gr Raisins
- 25 gr Olives
- Garlic, pepper, cumin, salt y olive oil to taste
- Chop everything very thinly except for the rocotos.
- Wash the rocotos, and cut out the top of each of them, so that the top part looks like a little hat. With a spoon, scrape out the seeds and membrane of each rocoto but be careful not to tear them in parts.
- Let them soak from one day to the next in water with a table spoon of salt and vinegar. Then wash them with tap water.
- Put them in a pot and make them boil in water with a pinch of salt. Once it reaches boiling point, let them cook for 3 minutes. Repeat the process if you don’t want your rocoto to be too hot.
- Heat some oil and brown the onion, garlic, carrot, peas, and the tomato paste. Calienta aceite y has dorar la cebolla, los ajos, zanahoria, arvejitas, la pasta de tomate y el ají colorado.
- Once everything is well sautéed, add the meats and spice them up. Once the meat is well cooked, add the peanuts, raisins, olives and the minced boiled egg.
- Stuff the rocotos with this preparation.
- Place the rocotos without their little hat tops in a baking pan previously greased.
- Put a slice of cheese on top of each of rocoto.
- Whisk the two raw eggs with the milk, salt and pepper.
- Poor the whisked eggs and milk on top of each rocoto and top them with their little top hats.
- Put the pan in the oven and cook au gratin (brown the rocotos) at 360ºF or 180ºC.
- Serve each stuffed rocoto with Potatoes gratiné.
Recipe | Peruvian Rocoto Relleno
The difficulty level of a recipe is shown by the rating graphics on the recipe summary box on each recibe. Don’t be alarmed about the potential difficulty level of a given recipe. With good planning almost everything is possible.